You don't appear to be logged in. Sign Up for a game account. It's free and only takes a few moments! Sign Up
Sedy Admin Sedy
posted on Thursday, March 03 2016, 05:46 AM in Game Guides
NoScrub's Iris Online can now be played by Linux and Mac OS X users with the help of the Wine project.

Recent changes to the game client now allow it to run under Wine successfully. There are some minor problems still, but nothing that affect normal gameplay. All testing and comments on what works and what doesn't can be found on the Wine AppDB.


Make sure you are using Wine version 1.61 or above. I have tested 1.61, 1.8_staging, 1.8.1 and 1.94 and can confirm they all work. Versions below or between these may or may not work, try them if you like, but the above are confirmed working by me.

1. Download the Iris Online Installer from the Downloads page.
2. Install Wine from your distributions package manager or get it from the Wine website.
3. Open a terminal and type winecfg
4. When winecfg opens, click on the Graphics tab and tick Emulate a Virtual Desktop and change the Desktop size to 1024 x 768 and then close winecfg.
5. Double click on the NoScrubs Iris Online Installer.exe that you downloaded before.
6. Wine may ask to install Wine Gecko, Mono etc. - say Yes and let it install them.
7. When the installer opens, keep the default settings (install to C:\ drive) and click the Extract button to install the client.
8. When it's finished, find the IrisLauncher.exe and open it, let it download updates and patch the client and when it's finished, click the START button to play.


I recommend using the PlayonLinux app if you use Linux. It can usually be found in your Linux distributions application manager and installed with the click of a button.

I recommend using the PlayonMac app if you're a Mac user.

If you use PlayonLinux/PlayonMac follow these steps:

1. Open PlayonLinux/PlayonMac and click on Configure.
2. When the configuration window opens, click on New at the bottom left to create a new virtual drive.
3. Choose 32 bits windows installation and click Next.
4. If asked to choose a version of Wine, select System.
5. Choose a name for your new virtual drive and click Next, I called mine NS.
6. Your new virtual drive will be created. Select it from the list on the left and click on the Wine tab.
7. Click on Configure Wine.
8. In the Wine Configuration window that opens, choose the Graphics tab.
9. Tick Emulate a virtual desktop and enter the Desktop size as 1024x768 and click OK to close the window.
10. Click on the Miscellaneous tab and then on Open Virtual drive's directory.
11. The virtual drive's folder will open. Open the folder called drive_c and drag your NoScrubs Iris Online folder into it.
12. Go back to the configuration window and choose the General tab.
13. Click on "Make a new shortcut from this virtual drive" and select IrisLauncher.exe from the list and click Next to create a shortcut, and then close the configuration window.
14. A new IrisLauncher icon will be displayed on the main PlayonLinux/PlayonMac window and also on your desktop.
15. Open the new shortcut to open the launcher. If you are asked to install Wine Gecko or any others, say Yes.
16. The launcher will open, patch the game and you can click the START button to open the client and login and play.

I have submitted an automatic installer script to the Playonlinux/Playonmac sites and once it's been accepted Iris Online will hopefully be added to their list of supported applications and you will be able to install it with just a few clicks. Until then you can download the installer script here - unzip and use the iris_playonlinux.pol file.

UPDATE: Mac OS 10.15 Catalina and 11 Big Sur no longer support 32-bit binaries so 32-bit builds of Wine no longer work. Only 64-bit builds of Wine will work, but they can only run 64-bit Windows binaries, and Iris is 32-bit.

Crossover apparently has support for running 32-bit Windows apps on Catalina/Big Sur: https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover#mac. It's basically a GUI interface for Wine with included Wine and several patches not included in the regular version of Wine. I have not tested it as I do not have a recent enough Mac capable of running Catalina or Big Sur, but there is a trial so you can test it if it works before buying.
Responses (13)
  • Accepted Answer

    Sedy Admin Sedy
    replied on Thursday, March 03 2016, 05:46 AM #Permalink
    Current Issues
    The launcher does not display the sliding images correctly. 10/03/16 fixed with a static background.
    Ingame web content such as Who's Online, Rankings, SlotZ, Item Database, Moolah Store item Info and Topup do not display correctly. They load but are hidden behind the black UI panel. 11/03/16 fixed - now opens in system browser, Safari, Firefox etc.
    NPC UI font (talk, quest info etc.) looks a bit squished if you use Wine 1.9.4 and most likely other versions above 1.81. 10/03/16 fixed in latest client.
    Reply voted down Show
  • Accepted Answer

    Sedy Admin Sedy
    replied on Thursday, March 10 2016, 08:53 PM #Permalink
    Mac OS X Update
    I have made further changes to the game client to allow it to run on Mac OS X under Wine - it now works perfectly except for ingame web based content like SlotZ, Topup, Who's Online, Rankings etc.

    Vanilla Wine latest version (1.95) - works.
    PlayonMac with system installed Wine 1.6 and also 1.95 - works.
    Wineskin 2.6 - works.
    Winebottler - works.

    Tested and working on:
    Mac Pro, 24gb RAM, nVidia GTX 970 graphics, Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11).
    MacBook Pro (2015), 16gb RAM, Radeon/Intel Iris graphics, Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11).
    iMac 27", 2gb RAM, Radeon 2600 graphics, Mac OS X Mountain Lion (10.8).

    The new client will be released this week with the Easter update and I might release a download-click-and-play version for those that don't have a clue about all this Wine stuff.
    Reply voted down Show
  • Accepted Answer

    Pinky Pinky
    replied on Saturday, June 11 2016, 09:10 AM #Permalink
    Sedy help me pls i try to install wine using mac mini i7

    Sedy wrote:

    2. Install Wine from your distributions package manager or get it from the Wine website.
    3. Open a terminal and type winecfg


    on terminal i try type wincfg

    -bash: wincfg: command not found

    always show up that
    Reply voted down Show
  • Accepted Answer

    Sedy Admin Sedy
    replied on Saturday, June 11 2016, 05:42 PM #Permalink
    It's winecfg not wincfg.

    I would recommend you install PlayOnMac from https://www.playonmac.com
    Reply voted down Show
  • Accepted Answer

    Pinky Pinky
    replied on Wednesday, June 15 2016, 09:57 AM #Permalink
    ah good one is games can lunch already, kinda annoying is everytime open launcher, the patch run so slow.

    And 1 more how to set keyboard key on this lol, coz i press F11 my screen become change to desktop. Thanks anyway~
    Reply voted down Show
  • Accepted Answer

    Pinky Pinky
    replied on Wednesday, June 15 2016, 10:00 AM #Permalink
    ah i find out, why i can slow at patch, that coz i remove .ink document LOL, now i can run this patch faster hahah
    Reply voted down Show
  • Accepted Answer

    AkelaD AkelaD
    replied on Tuesday, February 13 2018, 12:03 AM #Permalink
    Mac user. Quick question, I patched Iris and everything but if the game dosen't start, like nothing is happening when I click on the start button. Does somebody have any ideas why and how to fix it? I followed the step for playonmac.
    Reply voted down Show
  • Accepted Answer

    Sedy Admin Sedy
    replied on Tuesday, February 13 2018, 05:19 AM #Permalink
    What version of Wine is it using? I haven't tested the latest version of PlayonMac and it might be defaulting to a newer Wine version now. Iris will not work on Mac with Wine version 2.0 or higher - use version 1.94 or 1.95.
    Reply voted down Show
  • Accepted Answer

    AkelaD AkelaD
    replied on Monday, February 19 2018, 12:13 AM #Permalink
    Sedy wrote:

    What version of Wine is it using? I haven't tested the latest version of PlayonMac and it might be defaulting to a newer Wine version now. Iris will not work on Mac with Wine version 2.0 or higher - use version 1.94 or 1.95.


    I'll fixed it, the game works fine now but there is a little annoying problem. Like all the ground on the game is black, literally where ever I go on the map are the ground black, no grass or anything. Maybe it got to do with the graphic card or something. Or do u have any other explanation?
    Reply voted down Show
  • Accepted Answer

    Sedy Admin Sedy
    replied on Friday, June 01 2018, 11:07 AM #Permalink
    AkelaD wrote:

    I'll fixed it, the game works fine now but there is a little annoying problem. Like all the ground on the game is black, literally where ever I go on the map are the ground black, no grass or anything. Maybe it got to do with the graphic card or something. Or do u have any other explanation?


    You need to use the proprietary (closed source) drivers from AMD for Radeon cards or nVidia for Geforce cards - the Linux opensource drivers will not work 100% as I don't think they fully support loading some of the compressed textures the game uses. There is some additional library you can install to force the cpu to do the work instead but I have no experience with using it so can't say for certain that it would help. The open source drivers are kind of slow anyway, at least compared to the manufacturers proprietary drivers.
    Reply voted down Show
  • Accepted Answer

    hobbes hobbes
    replied on Friday, October 08 2021, 11:06 PM #Permalink
    Sedy wrote:

    AkelaD wrote:

    I'll fixed it, the game works fine now but there is a little annoying problem. Like all the ground on the game is black, literally where ever I go on the map are the ground black, no grass or anything. Maybe it got to do with the graphic card or something. Or do u have any other explanation?


    You need to use the proprietary (closed source) drivers from AMD for Radeon cards or nVidia for Geforce cards - the Linux opensource drivers will not work 100% as I don't think they fully support loading some of the compressed textures the game uses. There is some additional library you can install to force the cpu to do the work instead but I have no experience with using it so can't say for certain that it would help. The open source drivers are kind of slow anyway, at least compared to the manufacturers proprietary drivers.


    Avid linux gamer here. Had some of these problems in games like Rift on Linux. I would like to attempt to fix this issue with some experimentation. I am hoping maybe some folks on here would have some game client specific info.

    A good jump off point would be knowing which game engine this game works on. One of the solutions when getting Rift working correctly was different wine version testing. I couldn't tell you off hand which version eventually worked but there is one that displays all asset textures correctly. Right now I am trying different wine versions at random but if I knew which engine I am working against, it could help narrow things down. Thanks.
    Reply voted down Show
  • Accepted Answer

    Sedy Admin Sedy
    replied on Saturday, October 09 2021, 12:22 PM #Permalink
    hobbes wrote:

    Sedy wrote:

    AkelaD wrote:

    I'll fixed it, the game works fine now but there is a little annoying problem. Like all the ground on the game is black, literally where ever I go on the map are the ground black, no grass or anything. Maybe it got to do with the graphic card or something. Or do u have any other explanation?


    You need to use the proprietary (closed source) drivers from AMD for Radeon cards or nVidia for Geforce cards - the Linux opensource drivers will not work 100% as I don't think they fully support loading some of the compressed textures the game uses. There is some additional library you can install to force the cpu to do the work instead but I have no experience with using it so can't say for certain that it would help. The open source drivers are kind of slow anyway, at least compared to the manufacturers proprietary drivers.


    Avid linux gamer here. Had some of these problems in games like Rift on Linux. I would like to attempt to fix this issue with some experimentation. I am hoping maybe some folks on here would have some game client specific info.

    A good jump off point would be knowing which game engine this game works on. One of the solutions when getting Rift working correctly was different wine version testing. I couldn't tell you off hand which version eventually worked but there is one that displays all asset textures correctly. Right now I am trying different wine versions at random but if I knew which engine I am working against, it could help narrow things down. Thanks.


    Iris uses the same game engine as Rift actually, Gamebryo. I'm not sure which version Rift uses, probably 2.3 or 2.6, but from looking at some of the assets, it's likely 2.6. Iris also uses 2.6.

    Other than that texture issue with the ground, the game worked very well under Linux the last time I tested it. There was a network related issue when running on a Mac, that I had to work around with some code changes, but the Wine team eventually fixed that bug after I reported it. The only other issue was some of the web based stuff like SlotZ, Who's Online etc. not working properly, so I patched the game to open them in your browser when it detects Wine is being used.
    Reply voted down Show
  • Accepted Answer

    hobbes hobbes
    replied on Sunday, October 10 2021, 12:23 AM #Permalink
    Sedy wrote:

    hobbes wrote:

    Sedy wrote:

    AkelaD wrote:

    I'll fixed it, the game works fine now but there is a little annoying problem. Like all the ground on the game is black, literally where ever I go on the map are the ground black, no grass or anything. Maybe it got to do with the graphic card or something. Or do u have any other explanation?


    You need to use the proprietary (closed source) drivers from AMD for Radeon cards or nVidia for Geforce cards - the Linux opensource drivers will not work 100% as I don't think they fully support loading some of the compressed textures the game uses. There is some additional library you can install to force the cpu to do the work instead but I have no experience with using it so can't say for certain that it would help. The open source drivers are kind of slow anyway, at least compared to the manufacturers proprietary drivers.


    Avid linux gamer here. Had some of these problems in games like Rift on Linux. I would like to attempt to fix this issue with some experimentation. I am hoping maybe some folks on here would have some game client specific info.

    A good jump off point would be knowing which game engine this game works on. One of the solutions when getting Rift working correctly was different wine version testing. I couldn't tell you off hand which version eventually worked but there is one that displays all asset textures correctly. Right now I am trying different wine versions at random but if I knew which engine I am working against, it could help narrow things down. Thanks.


    Iris uses the same game engine as Rift actually, Gamebryo. I'm not sure which version Rift uses, probably 2.3 or 2.6, but from looking at some of the assets, it's likely 2.6. Iris also uses 2.6.

    Other than that texture issue with the ground, the game worked very well under Linux the last time I tested it. There was a network related issue when running on a Mac, that I had to work around with some code changes, but the Wine team eventually fixed that bug after I reported it. The only other issue was some of the web based stuff like SlotZ, Who's Online etc. not working properly, so I patched the game to open them in your browser when it detects Wine is being used.


    Thank you for that. I'll try to recreate the Rift wine container I had before and get it to work there then try running NS Iris in it so see if that takes care of the ground issue. Currently on the windows side of things because wife was having issues with navigating the terrain.

    I did notice your browser changes for those items (Slotz, etc), which is nice when on Linux side but noticed that the page comes up in http instead of https. Maybe a program change there to get it secured?

    If I get the ground texture worked out, I'll move onto the web assets next. Dungeons and Dragons online through lutris has those issues worked out. I can display their ddo store ingame which use to require external browser redirect. Maybe I can dig around there and get some ideas.

    Fingers crossed and thanks for the reply.
    Reply voted down Show
Your Reply

Latest Discussions

1 week ago 1 75
2 weeks ago 0 247
3 weeks ago 1 230

Latest Important Stuff

4 years ago 0 4749
4 years ago 0 2663

Latest Events

Latest Updates

2 weeks ago 0 247
3 weeks ago 0 226
2 months ago 0 774

Latest Replies

Sedy wrote: Thank you Sedy!!! ill let him know : )
6 days ago
Hi Jolie, The voting websites and systems only allow 1 vote per 12 or 24 hours from the same IP a
6 days ago
Hi Beatrice, Please register a new account. I have cleared the email address you used for this on
1 week ago
Hello Kuzuhai, I will send you a private message about this.
1 week ago